Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Past Teachers and My Mobile

The reason that I chose to use the picture of the baby with the mobile is because when I think about teaching I can't help but think about the tremendous impact that I am going to have on the lives of the children in my classroom from the time that they step in the door. I hope that I provide materials and information that makes their minds wander and thrive, much as the mobile on the crib is doing for this baby.

As I was working on my mobile a few weeks back, I couldn't help but keep thinking about my fifth grade teacher Mr. Gardner. He was one of the best teacher that I had in elementary school and is someone that comes straight to mind when I think about when I think of the type of teacher I would like to become. He was always challenging to do better and always made learning fun for us. Then when I think further back and try to remember my fourth grade teacher I always think about the fact that the classroom always smelled like Country Apple lotion from Bath and Body Works because we had an open concept classroom (although that is the least important part of my year :-) ). My favorite part of the year was when our teacher, Mrs. C. Campbell, read us the Little House on the Prairie series and then we had a "Prairie Life Day" and we also played Oregon Trail on the computer quite often. Thinking a little further back, I remember my third grade teacher, Ms. Henson. She was a very small, young woman but still got the respect she deserved and made our classroom environment very fun. The one day that was the most memorable for me in the third grade was the day we had our "Hawaiian Luau Party".

The reason that I have chosen to write a blog on this is because these three teachers are the teachers that I think about when I think of the teacher I would like to become. I can see myself taking the great aspects from all of the different teachers that I have had in the past to make me the best teacher that I possibly can. It makes me very excited for the day that I get my own classroom because I remember all of the fun that I had in those classrooms and hope that my students will have just as much fun in my classroom.

The reason that I have chosen to put this professional development is because I feel that these teachers gave me a great foundation to have a wonderful classroom and that the things that I did in their classrooms will help me develop into a wonderful teacher for my students.

No comments: