Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Past Experiences in Schools

I chose this picture because this is what I think of when I look back at my friends throughout my life. I went to very culturally diverse schools as a young girl and didn't have many Caucasian friends.

When I was younger (up until the second semester of my seventh grade year), my family lived in Indianapolis and I attended a school that was very culturally diverse. There was a larger number of African American students than there was of Hispanic or Caucasian students. The Hispanic students and the Caucasian students had roughly the same number of attendees. Then after my first semester, my family moved back to where we had lived before I started first grade, and my first day of school there was very strange. No one was as accepting as I had remembered from my last school ( I was not a child that came from a rich or incredibly well off family as most of them had) so for a while I never really had a set group of friends. Another thing that was different was that there were only 5 African American students between the middle and high school and they were thought of by many as bad and there are still many people that attended (and attend that school today) that are racist. And I partially blame that on the school system for letting it go on but blame their parents for letting it go on. And eventually it all falls back to the community that they grew up in and how they felt about the different racial groups. I see this as a chance to step up and make each race equal in the eyes of my students and of my children (when I become a mother many years from now).

I chose to put this blog under the cultural diversity label because that is a very important part of equality, is realizing that people are culturally different but that does not make them different people or bad people.

1 comment:

Nirupama said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.
ART 101 Entire Course